Friday, April 02, 2010

Utah Senate Race District 11

There are two individuals running for the State Senate position in District 11. On the left is our current State Senator, Howard Stephenson who has served in this position many terms. To find more information on Senator Stephenson, and his platform, please go to http://www.howardstephenson.com/. It is a very comprehensive website and details how he views his role as Senator.

Dwayne Nielson is also running for this senate seat. He is the gentleman on the right in the photo above. I contacted him the day after he filed to run for this position. In an email that I recieved from him he stated the following:

I made my final decision to run against Howard on Friday, the last day of the filing period. I originally thought that my efforts for the first two months would be to visit with the state delegates, but I have quickly learned that I will need to have a website. I was surprised to see how many people and organizations would contact me within hours of my filing.

I consider Howard a friend but believe he has been in office long enough (18 years) and he has become less responsive over the last few years. I heard multiple complaints about him from other delegates and many of them encouraged me to run. They are now telling me that he is already becoming more accessible.


Not wishing to show favoritism, but Mr. Nielson does not have a website. However, he has shared his platform with me and I will be including it below:

Dwayne Nielson Platform
State and County GOP platforms – I support the State, Salt Lake County, and Utah County GOP platforms.

Term Limits – There should not be career politicians. I am in favor of term limits of 12 years for Federal and 8 years for State Elected Officials. Some reasons:There are plenty of honorable, talented people who can serve us. More people should be given the chance to serve and bring new ideas to benefit the citizens. Most citizens can figure out how to operate in the Legislature.
The longer a person remains in office, the less inclined they are to be responsive to their constituents and the more inclined they are to feel a sense of ownership. Public office is a stewardship, not an ownership If the elected official cannot accomplish their agenda within their term limit, either they are not effective or their agenda is not meaningful.

I will self limit my term as an elected official and expect to be held accountable.

Ethics – Legislators must not be lobbyists. Legislators should not financially benefit while serving taxpayers and not serve when they have a conflict of interest. Transparency is as important as gift limits.

Listening and learning from state delegates – I commit to meet with each state delegate in our senate district annually. Your Senator should be dealing with issues that are important to the people and businesses in their district, not representing large corporations.

Less laws, not more – The prevailing notion is that an elected official is judged by the number of new laws they can get passed. I believe they should be judged by how much they can improve government efficiency and by how much common sense they can bring to our laws. “Symbolic” laws are a waste of time and taxpayer money.

Maximize the value of our state trust lands – There is more than one instance of state trust lands being leased or sold to businesses or individuals for a minor amount of money while the new owners become multi-millionaires. With the looming opportunities from natural resources being extracted for energy, I will work for the following requirement:
A royalty interest will be retained for the state education fund from revenues generated by the extraction of oil, natural gas, geothermal energy, coal, and any other ore or minerals, or from any industrial operations on State trust land in addition to the lease or sale price of the land.

The proceeds would be used for education, dollar for dollar lowering property taxes. The royalty could be reduced if the minerals are processed in Utah, which would increase jobs. Royalties of this nature are common in land transactions and should apply to state trust lands as well.

Education – I believe education is a key factor for individual success and having contributing members of society.
I am in favor of charter schools, public education, and state-approved private schools (vouchers). All three have their place, thereby giving families the opportunity to shop for and choose the best school for their children.
I will work with educators to find innovative ways to help our schools become more effective.
We need to encourage, reward and fund innovations in schooling. An example would be online schools and courses.
I recognize not all children have both parents nor have parents who are able to help them in their schooling. We need to help these children achieve their potential.
Education dollars should be allocated fairly to all methods of education.
Laws allowing separation of school districts must be more thorough and detailed. I am critical of the lack of foresight shown by the legislature when they passed current legislation outlining the requirements to separate school districts.

Nuclear Waste – I am opposed to having high level nuclear waste stored in Utah. Having worked in the nuclear remediation industry, I am qualified to make sure that Energy Solutions will adhere to regulations and laws that apply to their operation.

National Health Care – I am opposed to the new National Health care program and will do all in my power to having it revoked.

Role of Government – I agree with the party platforms that clearly lay out that the Federal Government has exceeded its Constitutional authority and will do all I can to correct this.





No comments: