Before I share the minutes I want to say that this was a great meeting; the best one I’ve attended yet.
Brent Cook and I attended along with about 200 other people. After the meeting opening the chair asked for new Precinct Chairs and Vice-Chairs to stand. It looked to me as if as if half the audience stood up.
Here are my brief notes:
- On Saturday October 20th the county will hold a breakfast and literature pick-up event. Each precinct is expected to send representative to pick up campaign literature for the Republicans running to be distributed within the precinct. We will be asking for volunteers. Please consider that this can be a family event/service project. I have good memories of handing out literature with my father as a young boy.
- We approached an initial budget of $2,600 for a scholarship program for youth. The county will be sponsoring a video and speech contest on the topic of “the party platform” and/or why it is good to be a Republican. A number of ideas were mentioned such as rather than using age use year in school. Breaking into to groups; high school and fresh/sophomores in college (this was Brent’s). A committee will work out the details but everyone was excited about the idea.
- Creating a county Teenage Republicans (TARS) club was also discussed. A long-term goal would be to have clubs in the high schools.
- On Saturday Feb 2, 2013 will be holding its Lincoln Day dinner fund raiser. The county is looking for volunteers to help organize and promote this event. This years Lincoln day dinner cost $37K and cost $10K to put on.
- County Finances: We have about $50K in the bank, most of which will be allocated to support our candidates (local candidates only—state leg and senate, county commissioners …) in the general election.
- About 45 minutes we devoted to training and reviewing how the party operates. Something that we previously never had time to do.
- We also heard from some of the Republican candidates for this falls general election (those that did not have a primary) including Mia Love who will be running against Jim Matheson in the nearly created 4th district. Although, we are in the 2nd I would encourage all to consider supporting her in some way.