Monday, May 03, 2010

My Thoughts.....

Highland Precinct 2:


I thought I'd let you know what I've found as a result of attending meetings, 1 on 1's, receiving mailings, phone calls, etc.


Also, I have not forgot that I asked to be a delegate for two reasons; 1) it is absolutely necessary to remove Jim Matheson from office, and 2) to “…get to the bottom of this Bob Bennett stuff…”. I have spent the majority of my time on these two races. I feel I can look all of you in the eye and tell you I have worked hard and spent a lot of time of this.


By way of perspective, my personal concerns about this country and this state are focused on the security of my family -- both financial security and physical security. This means I have been looking for candidates to express the following as high priorities: 1) a solid assessment of, and a future strategy for fiscal policy, 2) a loyalty to the Constitution and an understanding of states rights, and 3) not just an opinion, but a strategy on immigration (legal and illegal). I do not believe these three areas are mutually exclusive; success in one area and failure on the other two most likely translates to 'We the People' are not getting control of our Federal government.


I have tried to distinguish from “listening to” what the candidates had to say, filtering out rhetoric and campaign talking points, instead “listening for” passion on issues, and career & life experiences which support a candidate's claim of being different. Most certainly I need to understand where each candidate stands on specific issues, but frankly, focusing only on where a candidate stands would be a mistake. It is important to make sure the candidates have proven they can achieve big results, listen for an understanding of preferences vs. principle, and discern motives for running for office.


With 1 week left I support the following candidates (and look for your input)

U.S. Senate
My choice is Tim Bridgewater, Mike Lee as a second choice.
Tim lines up well with me on all 3 high priority items and has a proven track record of self-accomplishment. Tim was also the first candidate I spoke with who took the conversation of immigration serious. (note, after the Arizona law was signed, all candidates were forced to take this conversation serious. Tim simply had this nailed before the Arizona law hit the press.


I hope this race comes down to Tim & Mike going into a primary election. I don’t feel this race should emerge from convention with a 60% winner, as the citizens of this state should decide this one. However, on May 8th if necessary I will swing my support to Mike Lee in order to keep Bob out of a primary fight.


I did meet Bob Bennett and listened to a couple of the Senate debates. Bob did convince me that maybe I was not fully informed on the bank bailout vote and maybe, just maybe he was right. Fair enough. However, that point is moot. Whether or not the bailout was needed, Bob takes too much money the Bank industry. At the very least Bob should have been screaming at the rooftops before the banks failed--he should have been warning the country about Fanny and Freddie. I cannot completely absolve Bob from responsibility in the financial debacle. At some point the citizens need to exercise skepticism and ask if our own candidate has been compromised thru special-interest donations. I think Bob has been.
Merrill Cook, perennial candidate. Thanks for your previous service to our state, good luck to you in the future.


All other candidates did not present a organized campaign which would lead me to believe they are serious about taking this seat.

U.S. House seat (Matheson’s seat)


Morgan Philpot is my choice. Morgan is an attorney with a great educational and work background. Morgan is well positioned in my top 3 issues and most importantly to this race, I believe he is electable.


I have personally met both candidates more than once and attended debates, etc., etc. We are fortunate to have two great Utahn’s running for the Republican seat the time around. In the end analysis however, I believe Morgan is much more electable, more articulate, and has run a more thorough campaign. (note-to beat Matheson, the ability to campaign is extremely important)
I feel strongly that we get Morgan out of convention with 60% as we cannot afford a primary fight. We need to save all funds to beat Matheson.


State Senate seat (Howard Stephenson vs. Dwayne Nielson)
Undecided at this moment -- I have not been able to meet Dwayne Nielson yet. I will get this done in next day or so. Any input from precinct members would be appreciated.


State Rep (John Dougall’s seat)
I am disappointed this seat is running unopposed from the Republican side. I believe an opponent would be a healthy check-and-balance and would result in rigorous conversation.


Governor
Gov. Herbert until otherwise convinced. Interesting, there has been little proactive campaigning to the delegates until recently from all three camps. I will be attending a debate of all three candidates this week. Stay tuned.

Mike Bready, State Delegate

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Great blog. I agree with you that Bridgewater needs to be elected. He is a down to earth up by the boot straps guy. He has real world experience and real solutions for the troubling times our country is facing.

the Colonel said...

I also like Tim Bridgewater. I started out the political season leaning towards a different candidate, but he was too difficult to approach and a little to smug with his answers for me.

Tim has a more practical and reasonable approach to the position. I do believe that once he is in office he will be much more responsive to the will of Utahns than the other contenders. I do not want an angry mother in the Senate who will "take care" of me. I've had enough with the "take care" of me approach from Obama.

the Colonel said...

I began this political season by leaning towards another candidate; however I switched to Tim Bridgewater and am I glad I did.

To me, Tim is approachable where the others are not. His responses at various debates show his knowledge and approach to government will be more of a reflection of the people of Utah than the others.

I don't see him waffling on Defense or securing our borders, nor in correcting the bad practices government has laden businesses with.

When the next senator is in office, I want his team to be responsive to me and the concerns which I and other Utahns voice. Tim is the only candidate who I see as being our voice in Washington—not a guy trying to “take care” of us.

Unknown said...

Mike Lee weak. Feels pressure and removes the words Anchor Baby off of his website. Bridgewater stands firm. Small businessman and knows that Anchor children are the key to illegal's gaining entry into our welfare system. Illegals use our system well.

Politically Active Mama said...

Thanks, Mike, for this post. I agree with you that Tim is the best choice for Senate. In this case, a primary substitutes for a general and I'd like to see one as well. Like the Colonel, I originally supported another candidate, but it became clear to me that Tim is the very best choice. I look forward to Senator Bridgewater serving the state of Utah - but Senator Lee would be fine too.

For second district, Morgan is the best man in the race. His REAL race starts the day after convention - unless Matheson gets beaten (which seems pretty unlikely).

Saturday will be fun, for sure.

arc said...

I believe that Cherilyn Eagar is the only one running who has supported and been active in fighting for conservative values for the last 30 years at the local, state, national and international level.

Yes, Cherilyn Eagar is an activist, she has been active, and will be. She is passionate. She has been working to create and rally coalitions of grass roots people for conservative causes for many years.

Vote for who you think is best, but I would not underestimate Cherilyn Eagar.

Unknown said...

Highland Delegate, I want to personally congratulate you on the thorough job you have done as a delegate. You have put the time and effort in. Being a delegate to me is a Sacred Trust between you and the voters of your Precinct.

I agree with your assessment of Morgan Philpot and Neil Walter. They are both great guys and Jason Chaffetz's in the making. But Philpot is perhaps more seasoned, and better able to take on Matheson.

Now my thoughts on the Senate, and take this from an old guy who's been a Political Activist since disillusioned by Nixon in High School.

I have heard all the challenging candidates 5 times now in several panel discussion, and one on one. I have asked them questions, not always been satisfied with the answers. My criteria for a replacement for Senator Bennett has been 1) most Conservative 2)most integrity 3) actual plan and real world solutions. I have researched their websites and positions. They are all similarly conservative. At the end of the day, there is an intangible you go with, and that is the gut, and who you will trust for your Grandkids future. And that is why I support Tim Bridgewater for Senate.

Your comments are dead on, and you do your Precinct proud. Thanks.

WKH said...

Thanks, Mike. I have appreciated your thoughts and input. It is nice to know that we elected someone who has taken on this trust so well. I like Tim Bridgewater very much, but, ultimately, I support Mike Lee. My only reasoning on this is that Mr. Bridgewater seems to get the principles of the Constitution by experience, but not directly from the text. My concern is that too many of our representatives think that they understand their role in Washington, but can be misled or misdirected by their own experience and assumptions. I would prefer to see more references and understanding of that singular document that maintains our liberties and protects us from governmental encroachment (when followed). I believe that Mr. Lee will always vote Constitutionally on the issues. At this point in time, this is of paramount importance to me. Having said that, Mr. Bridgewater seems more poised to be able to lead and motivate people and to explain the rationale behind things. I think a Primary Election is a wonderful opportunity for both of these candidates to present themselve to the electorate for further vetting. As for Sen. Bennett, I have reviewed his voting record, and I have found that I disagree with him as much as I agree. My main issues, of late, are the TARP bailout, his own version of mandatory health care, and the confirmation of persons whose stance on the First and Second Amendments (for example) are in direct opposition to the Bill of Rights as written (e.g. Eric Holder and Cass Sunstein). I believe that if you swear an oath to uphold the Constitution, you violate that oath when you vote to confirm someone who will not uphold the Constitution as you understand it. So, giving Sen. Bennett the benefit of the doubt that he believes all Americans have a right to Free Speech, I find it unconscionable that he would vote to confirm Mr. Sunstein who believes that government should control who says what, how, and when, or Mr. Holder who believes that I don't have the right to protect myself and my family with a firearm unless the government says so. Once again, thank you, Mike, for your diligent work and your service to our precinct. It is greatly appreciated, perhaps more than you know.